Millions of seabirds and marine mammals live and breed in Antarctica and the surrounding seas. Over the years, many of these species have suffered considerably from human exploitation of the area. Although most species are now protected, many are still seeing a reduction in numbers that is almost certainly linked, directly or indirectly, to human activities such as fishing, pollution and tourism. Only a profound knowledge of the Antarctic ecology can help us protect these animals and their habitats. This is the main goal of our research. The results of our research have been published in both scientific literature and the popular press (publications). In addition, they have been widely distributed among, and used by, relevant governmental and environmental departments (cooperations). Our research was also exploited by various working groups to highlight more complex ecogolocial relationships, for example the distribution of marine top-predators in the Southern Ocean, and to identify marine hot spots (KBAs, mIBAs) and suitable regions for the establishment of marine protected areas (MPAs).
In supporting our work you can help preserve the wildlife of Antarctica, so that our children and grandchildren may enjoy it.
- The Retrospective Analysis of Antarctic Tracking Data from the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research. Scientific Data (in press) by Ropert-Coudert, Y., A.P. Van de Putte, H. Bornemann, J.B. Charrassin, D.P. Costa, B. Danis, L.A. Hückstädt, I.D. Jonsen, M.A. Lea, R.R. Reisinger, D. Thompson, L.G. Torres, P.N. Trathan, S. Wotherspoon, D.G. Ainley, R. Alderman, V. Andrews-Goff, B. Arthur, G. Ballard, J. Bengtson, M.N. Bester, L. Boehme, C.A. Bost, P. Boveng, J. Cleeland, R. Constantine, R.J.M. Crawford, L. Dalla Rosa, P.J.N. de Bruyn, K. Delord, S. Descamps, M. Double, K. Dugger, L. Emmerson, M. Fedak, A. Friedlander, N. Gales, M. Goebel, K.T. Goetz, C. Guinet, S.D. Goldsworthy, R. Harcourt, J. Hinke, K. Jerosch, A. Kato, K.R. Kerry, R. Kirkwood, G.L. Kooyman, K.M. Kovacs, K. Lawton, A.D. Lowther, C. Lydersen, P.O.B. Lyver, A.B. Makhado, M.E.I. Márquez, B. McDonald, C. McMahon, M. Muelbert, D. Nachtsheim, K. Nicholls, E.S. Nordøy, S. Olmastroni, R.A. Phillips, P. Pistorius, J. Plötz, K. Pütz, N. Ratcliffe, P.G. Ryan, M. Santos, A. Schytte Blix, C. Southwell, I. Staniland, A. Takahashi, A. Tarroux, W. Trivelpiece, H. Weimerskirch, B. Wienecke, J.C. Xavier, B. Raymond & M.A. Hindell.
- Spatial scales of conservation management for breeding seabirds. Marine Policy 98: 37-46 (2018) by Oppel, S., M. Bolton, A. Carneiro, M. Dias, J.A. Green, J.F. Masello, E. Owen, P. Quillfeldt, A. Beard, S. Bertrand, J. Blackburn, P.D. Boersma, A. Borges, W. Bouten, A.C. Broderick, P. Catry, I. Cleasby, E. Clingham, J. Creuwels, S. Crofts, R. Cuthbert, D. Davies, R. Davies, B. Dilley, H. Andrade Dinis, J. Dossa, J. Veen, W. Mullié, H. Dallmeijer, M.J. Dunn, M.A. Efe, A. Fayet, L. Figueiredo, A. Pereira Frederico, R. Gauvain, C. Gjerdrum, B.J. Godley, J. González-Solís, J.P. Granadeiro, C. Gravelle, T. Guilford, K.C. Hamer, A. Hedd, L. Henry, M. Hernández-Montero, J. Hinke, N. Kokubun, E. Leatc, B. Metzger, T. Militão, G. Montrond, R.A. Phillips, I.L. Pollet, K. Pütz, F. Quintana, N. Ratcliffe, R.A. Ronconi, P. Ryan, S. Saldanha, A. Shoji, J. Sim, L. Soanes, A. Takahashi, P.N. Trathan, W. Trivelpiece, E. Wakefield, N. Weber, S. Weber, L. Zango & J. Croxall.
- Framework for mapping marine megafauna key areas to inform Marine Spatial Planning: Falklands Islands case study. Marine Policy 92: 61-72 (2018) by Augé, A.A, M.P. Dias, B. Lascelles, A.M.M. Baylis, A. Black, P.D. Boersma , P. Catry, S. Crofts, F. Galimberti, J.P. Granadeiro, A. Hedd, K. Ludynia, J.F. Masello, W. Montevecchi, R.A. Phillips, K. Pütz, P. Quillfeldt, G. Rebstock¸ S. Sanvito, I. Staniland, A. Stanworth, D. Thompson, M. Tierney, P. Trathan & J. Croxall.
- Tangled and drowned: A global review of penguin bycatch in fisheries. Endangered Species Research 34: 373-396 (2017) by Crawford, R., U. Ellenberg, E. Frere, C. Hagen, K.. Baird, P. Brewin, S. Crofts, J. Glass, T. Mattern, J. Pompert, K. Ross, J. Kemper, K. Ludynia, R.B. Sherley, A. Steinfurth, C.G. Suazo, P. Yorio, L. Tamini, J.C. Mangel, L. Bugoni, G. Jimenez-Uzcategui, A. Simeone, G. Luna-Jorquera, P. Gandini, E.J Woehler, K. Pütz, P. Dann, A. Chiaradia & C. Small.
- Pollution, habitat loss, fishing and climate change as critical threats to penguins. Conservation Biology 29(1): 31-41 (2014) by Trathan, P.N., P. García-Borboroglu, P.D. Boersma, C.A. Bost, R.J.M. Crawford, G.T. Crossin, R.J. Cuthbert, P. Dann, L.S. Davis, S. de la Puente, U. Ellenberg, H.J. Lynch, T. Mattern, K. Pütz, P.J. Seddon, W. Trivelpiece & B. Wienecke.